The African School Development Project is uniquely designed Volunteer Adventure in the heart of the Adventure Province, Eastern Cape South Africa. We believe in the balance of sustainable volunteer work with incredible adventures, ensuring that you leave a positive footprint in South Africa. Not only do we offer the development project to International volunteers, but also use their fully licensed Adventure Company to offer the trip of a lifetime.
Volunteers will be involved in the overall development of 2 African Schools, creating a better learning environment and sustainable projects for the Children and community. Tasks at School will be aiding Teachers with lessons, growing vegetables to feed School, recess help, library reading lessons and English help, cross cultural talks and classes, after school activities, beach excursions for juniors, creating a more stimulating learning environment, developing classrooms, additional education efforts and sports help.
Project Type: African School Development projects & teaching
Location: Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Pick up point: Port Elizabeth Airport
Duration: 1 – 12 weeks
Price: from £499
Acommodation: Farm Estate conservation area, 3 minutes from town, 5 minutes from beach
Meals: three meals a day included in price, self-catering fully equiped comunial kitchen
Age range: 18-35
WHAT THE VOLUNTEER WORK ENTAILS:
– Placement at African Primary School, with established teachers.
– 7.30am – 15.00pm School day work hours with recess breaks and a lunch break.
DAILY VOLUNTEER WORK ENTAILS:
– Sustainable development projects in and around school
– Assisting at recess, in classes and shadowing a Teacher
– After school care and activities
– Sport Development
– Guidance Lessons
– International Cultural awareness
– General development projects to better facilities and Children’s learning environment
– Feeding projects (including vegetable garden assistance)
– World knowledge lessons and information created and taught
– Beach educational outings
WHOS LIVES WILL YOU BE CHANGING:
All Children from both Schools would come from previously disadvantaged families, who would gladly accept any aid with their educational progress. Both Schools are pretty basic and set in and around small holding estates and farms, giving it a true African School look and feel. The children latch onto the volunteers, who find it very hard to say goodbye at the end of their stay. Being in the poorest educational Province, The Eastern Cape, we have seen a remarkable difference in the Children and Parents attitudes towards a brighter future in education. Through Volunteer aid and sustainable development projects we are able to benefit the lives of African Children who have not been given the start in life that most have. It’s not just the pupils whose lives are influenced; the Volunteers too are enriched throughout the whole experience.
ADDITIONAL AFTERNOON ADVENTURES:
– FREE Sand boarding and Beach activities
– FREE Addo Elephnat Natoinal Park tour
– Town festivals, activities and local events (shopping, sporting, musical, cultural)
Volunteers are given the opportunity to explore the Country on weekend adventures, one day trips and beach excursions with the Team. A few adventure activities that are on offer are: dive with Great White Sharks, highest bridge bungy jump in the World, skydiving, Whale watching, Safari trips and camp outs, Waterfall ziplining, cultural interactions, quad biking through wildlife, surfing, sandboarding, dive with African Fur Seals, coastal hikes, beach horse rides and plenty more. All adventure options are booked through the Volunteer company in South Africa.
WEEKEND PACKAGES: (Additional payment options)
– Plettenberg Bay Adventure weekend (3 day)
– Jeffery’s Bay Adventure weekend (3 day)
– Schotia Game Reserve overnight Camp out ( 2 day)
– Shark Fiesta Weekend ( 3 days )
– Eastern Cape – Cape Town , Garden Route trip ( 6 Days)
Volunteers are accommodated on a private conservation estate less than 5 minutes out of town, near the Sardinia Bay conservation area. A historical farm house has been transformed into the Volunteer house, offering a fresh, outdoor feel with plenty areas to relax and explore after a good days work. This self-sustaining farm estate will be your home away from home while visiting South Africa. Attractions at the estate include: Swimming pool and entertainment area, hammocks, barbeque areas, volunteer chill lounge, 4-6 man rooms, fully equipped communal kitchen, 150 hectares of land to explore, run and walk, Volunteer gardens to harvest vegetables, all set within a protected conservation estate.
BENEFITS OF LIVING IN THE FREEWALKER VOLUNTEERING FARM HOUSE:
– Farm house is situated on conservation land of 150 Hectares
– Five minute drive from town (shops etc)
– Healthy, active, fun, fresh living environment
– Trail walks and running paths, Scenic Beach and ocean views
– Abundance of Bird life
– Organic Volunteer garden – Fresh produce
– School Development Project right on property border
– 6km’s from Sardinia Bay Beach, conservation land to explore
– 24hr Live in Project Co-ordinator
– Owners House on Property
– Serviced Farm house Twice a week/ Cleaning service/Laundry
– Free WIF
South Africa’s ‘wild’ province, the Eastern Cape features expanses of untouched beach, bush and forest. This is Nelson Mandela’s home province, and an area with some enticing attractions – pristine beaches, abundant wildlife and spectacular scenery. The province offers something for everyone: for the adrenaline addict there’s tubing down the Storm’s River Gorge, skydiving in Grahamstown and learning to fly in Port Alfred; outdoor enthusiasts can try spot the Big Seven (the Big Five plus southern right whales and great white sharks) or enjoy pristine beaches.
From £499 – £4,699 (1 week – 12 weeks)
£200 deposit to secure placement at time of booking, final balance due 8 weeks prior to departure.
– Full accommodation and Board
– Transfer from Port Elizabeth airport
– Freewalker Volunteer welcome pack
– Freewalker Apparel surprise Gift
– Special welcome Traditional South African Braai/BBQ
– Three meals a day – Self or prepared
– Placement at schools and surrounds
– Portion of funds goes towards development projects
– Transport to and from projects/ Group activities
– 24hr co-ordinator living on site
– FREE 24hr WIFI
– Sand boarding
– Beach activities
– Traversing rights to 150 hectare farm estate in conservation area
– FREE Addo Elephant National Park tour
– Flights to and from Port Elizabeth International Airport
– Private medical expenses, vaccinations and medication
– Additional travel within your volunteer experience
– Weekend and day Adventure travel packages
– Alcoholic beverages and personal snacks & Refreshments
– Medical Certificates required to travel to South Africa
– Travel Insurance
– VISA documentation
If you have any questions, or if you’d like to find out more about this incredible adventure and create some unforgettable memories, just fill in the form below and one of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.